Saint Dominic Monastery of Dax
... a little history.
From the birth in the 13th century of the Mendicant Orders (religious orders dependent on charity to live), Poor Clares (also called Order of the Poor Ladies) settled in Dax. They will remain there until 1792. Expelled from their first monastery, then used to fortify the ramparts of the city against the Spanish invasion, they settle then a little away, on the places of the tomb of St Vincent de Xaintes, bishop and martyr, taking over the secular guard provided by the Benedictines.
Then came the Revolution: spoliation of property and dispersion of nuns on October 2, 1792.
A century later, the priest of the parish wants to reconstruct the area of Poor Clares, and goes for it seek a community of Dominican monks at Nay Monastery.
Fifteen nuns arrived in Dax on December 16, 1863, and founded a new monastery under the patronage of St. Joseph.
Many works ensue, only a wing of the monastery of the Poor Clares remaining then.
In the 1930s to 1936 the construction of the chaplaincy and the hotel industry took place.
In the years that follow, the aging of the members of the various communities and the lack of vocations raise many questions about the possible transmission.
In 1993, contacts between the monasteries of Dax and Clairefontaine-en-Yvelines (Yvelines) proved decisive. Dax, because of its location and architecture, is considered well-suited to receive elderly sisters.
In August 1995, all Dax sisters left the monastery to facilitate the work. They are temporarily accommodated in neighboring monasteries.
The work begins on September 4, 1995.
On April 20, 1996, some twenty sisters from both monasteries gathered.
The monastery then receives the name of "Saint Dominic".
The work of Dax can therefore resume: making altar breads, crafts, bookbinding workshop and monastic home.
In March 1998, seven sisters of the Monastery of Pellevoisin (Indre) joined the community of Dax, followed by five sisters of the monastery of St Martin de Hinx (Landes) in 1999, and four sisters of Saint-Palais-sur-mer (Charente Maritime) in 2001 following the closure of their monastery.
* Webdesigner : Atelier de la Photographie *
The images, texts and videos presented on this site are protected by copyright, pursuant to Articles L.112-1 and following of the Code of Intellectual Property. Under no circumstances may you use, copy, reproduce, modify or distort these works or the elements that compose them, including on the Internet, without the prior written permission of the Atelier de la Photographie or the copyright holder. the Atelier de la Photographie or the rights holder reserves the right to pursue any act of infringement of its intellectual property rights, including in the context of a criminal action.